KOTA KINABALU: The man who was shot dead at Jalan Taman Perindustrian Kota Kinabalu (KKIP), Sepanggar here yesterday had been involved in 17 house break-ins and robbery cases involving losses of about RM300,000, said Kota Kinabalu city police chief ACP M. Chandra.
He said the 30-year-old Filipino, identified as Kaidal Muksin was believed to have been actively involved in crimes around Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Papar since 2009.
"Investigations revealed that the suspect had been actively involved in crimes along with his four other accomplices and based on the analysis of his fingerprints, the suspect had been involved in house break-in and robbery cases," he told reporters, here today.
Chandra said three of the suspect's accomplices had been arrested recently, one of them is now serving a jail sentence and police are still on a manhunt for the other suspect.
In a separate case, the police rescued four foreign nationals including three women believed to be victims of human trafficking in a raid on an entertainment centre at Cyber City, Jalan Lintas, on Feb 7.
Chandra said all the victims, aged between 15 and 18, claimed that they were promised jobs as restaurant waiters but ended up being forced into immoral activities.
"Following that, police detained a couple aged 22 and 30 at a house in Putatan for suspected involvement in the case," he said adding that the case was being investigated under Section 14 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007. — Bernama